5 paragraph essay on The Impacts of Fear in regards to life and the book The Crucible
Please choose one of the following questions and react to it briefly in the discussion boards.
When you submit answer, please begin by pasting the question you are responding to in the text field. Then write your answer below.
Discussion question options:
To what extent do you think media bias is a problem in the way political events are covered in the news? Do you think the press should become more explicitly partisan? Why or why not?
President Trump has frequently derided unfavorable coverage of his administration as “fake news” and has stated that the mainstream media are “the enemy of the American people.” Why has the President taken this unprecedented approach to the media? What is his objective? What impact do you think this will have on the freedom of the press in our democracy?
Twitter recently fact-checked several of President Trump’s tweets, leading the President to threaten measures to limit protections for social media companies. Facebook has largely declined to fact check the President and has even relaxed some of its existing standards to accommodate misleading political speech. What role should social media companies play in censoring/verifying speech on their platforms? What should these look like? What are the costs of allowing any speech to be published? What are the costs of heavily regulating speech?
Explain why this would be a more appropriate classification than other alternatives that you do not select.
2. Identify two major threats to the prosperity and stability of the developed countries. What, if anything, can those states do to reduce these threats?
3. What are the obstacles to development in many countries of the Global South? What seem to be the most appropriate strategies to overcome those obstacles? Why are such strategies not already successful?
4. Discuss key reasons why the military has often ruled in Global South countries and the conditions under which it come to power.
What is the difference between civil liberties and civil rights? Give an example of each and discuss what is being balanced? Do you agree with the plastic reindeer rule or do you believe it is in violation of the Lemon test? Does the death penalty in violation of civil rights as a constitution of cruel and unusual punishment? Explain the legal test to determine if the government can discriminate. Are voter ID laws in violation of civil rights? If so, how?
Write an essay comparing Rousseau with Hobbes
Choose a California ballot proposition from the November 2020 election.
Provide a political analysis of the conflicts that gave rise to the proposition, the stakeholders behind it, and the likely effects of its passage (whether or not it was passed).
Look for data on who funded the proposition and their interest in doing so, as well as other organizations who backed the proposition. Examine who opposed the proposition and their interest in doing so.
What is your opinion on the proposition in question?
3 pages essay
Answer the following questions
1, Research the risks and benefits of jobs being outsourced to India and China. In doing so, assess the similarities and differences between the types of jobs being outsourced to China and India. Your post should also address the pros and cons of outsourcing jobs endured by U.S. consumers and U.S. government.
2, Scholars agree that Western interference has helped to shape Iranian political life before, during, and after the revolution. Share your thoughts on the following questions:
- Has Western influence been good for a country like Iran?
- Should the West try to have more influence, such as on Iran’s (and other countries’) nuclear power program and their politics? Why or why not?
- In your post, you should also assess whether any foreign country should have influence on U.S. policies.
3, Some political thinkers and scholars have stated that people must have security in their daily lives. Without security, the world cannot be at peace. Your post should address the lessons that we have learned throughout this course, as well as your own individual perspective.
- Do you think human beings have security in our lives? Why or why not? If not, how do you think government leaders may provide security for the people?
- Do you feel you have hope for positive improvements throughout your life and your children’s life?
- Lastly, how will this course change or impact your life as you seek to live in a complex world of comparative politics?
Choose and answer one of the following (cite lectures and Yao for all answers):
1. Explain moral markets
2. Explain law as reconciliation, law as restitution
3. Explain the Confucian understanding of material and moral incentives.
FormattingUse standard formatting (points will be deducted otherwise):
• Double spacing,
• 12pt Times New Roman,
• 1 inch margins,
• No more than 1 inch of space dedicated to title and header,
• No extraneous space between paragraphs or headers.Cite lecture and class readings where appropriate (points will be deducted otherwise):
• Include a bibliography page at the end of your paper,
• Include in-text parenthetical citations throughout the paper (including lecture dates),
• Please do not use footnotes unless absolutely necessary,
• Please do not use outside sources,
• Do not copy/paste lecture notes into the text of your response (this is plagiarism),
• Please do not simply paraphrase the lecture notes or the book
Answer the following essay questions. Your answer will be graded based on organization, clarity and inclusion of appropriate examples to support your answer. Each essay answer should be at least 3 pages (950 words). (Times New Roman/Font 12/ Double Space- Must be submitted through turn-it-it. Submitting via email is NOT accepted). You must answer both questions.
- What constitutes the most important difference between revolutions and social movements? Analyze the American Revolution against the background of the four major theories considered in this chapter. Which theory or theories can best account for the historical sequence witnessed at the birth of the United States? Explain your answer carefully and be sure to provide evidence in support of your claims. (50 Points)
- Take the difference between French and German nationalism. How would each of the theories of nationalism’s emergence explain the histories of these cases? What might each theory say about why French nationalism is often considered “civic” and German nationalism “ethnic”? (50 Points)
You are a lobbyist for an issue that you find important. For example, you would like to see the banning of smoking in federal buildings (Note: This policy has already been enacted.) You are going to make an informational pamphlet to highlight your points to prominent members of Congress. Research members of Congress that you will target in your lobbying. Explain why these members are critical to your goal. Make a plan of action and produce a pamphlet supporting your cause. Who will you be reaching out to? Why? Write a cover letter to a Congressional member and include your reasoning for reaching out to them in particular in the letter. Remember a lobbyist is only as good as the information they provide. A lobbyist who provides incomplete or unreliable information will soon be unemployed, or lose access to officials.
Cover letter should:
- Follow a standard business format
- Correctly address your Congressperson
- Use the correct postal address
- Explain your choice to write to this representative in particular, and provide your pamphlet. For example, maybe your research showed that this representative sponsored legislation on this issue in the past.
- Define the problem. Tells us exactly what the problem is. Detail its urgency and provide data. Be objective.
- Analyze the problem. Provide relevant data. Tell us how to make sense of the data. Provide any findings
- Offer a recommendation. Do not generalize. Be specific.
- Must be persuasive.
- Cite four scholarly sources
Submit your cover letter and pamphlet for grading.
Writing Requirements (APA format).
- Length: Cover letter to Congressman should be only 1 page
- Pamphlet should be 5 pages in length
- 1-inch margins
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Reference page (minimum of 4 scholarly sources)