For this exam, you will choose 6 of the prompts below to respond to. Your responses should be no less than 250 words per prompt.
1. Define and give examples of process, perception, and outcome data.
Imagine that you work in a school district where school counselors are evaluated using a teacher performance evaluation instrument.
2. How might you advocate changing to a more appropriate evaluation for school counselors?
3. Why is it important for school counselors to be evaluated differently?
4. Give an example of how you might advocate in each of the four advocacy areas discussed in the book (Student empowerment self-advocacy; student advocacy; systems advocacy; and social/political advocacy).
5.How can a school counselor show leadership for students that are learning English as a second language? Special education students? Other populations?
6.It is your first year at a new school. Discuss some ways to show effective leadership as a new staff member with students, teachers, and administrators.
7. The statistics on bullying indicate that, while prevention programs may be decreasing the incidence of bullying, technology has increased the likelihood of cyberbullying. What direct and indirect services might address these issues? Is there an ethical responsibility to address cyberbullying in schools?
8. School and world crises can take their toll on school personnel. Discuss how you would support school personnel and provide self-care in the event of a tragedy.
9. What is your theoretical orientation? Why did you choose that theory?
10. In a short essay, explain why the ASCA National Model is important to the role and function of school counselors.
11. Name 3 ethical dilemmas in school counseling and how the ASCA Ethical Standards for School Counselor addresses them? Remember to cite the part of the ethical code for each dilemma.
The Professional School Counselor and Comprehensive School Counseling Programs (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. The Professional School Counselor and Response to Intervention (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. The Professional School Counselor and School Counseling Preparation Programs (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. ASCA Student Standards (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. ASCA School Counselor Competencies (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. National Office for School Counselor Advocacy (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. National Career Development Association (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.