Leadership and Management in the Perioperative Environment
HHO2007Leadership and Management in the Perioperative Environment Assignment Brief1There are FIVE Learning Outcomes.
- Critically evaluate the implementation of national and local health policy and evidence-based practice within the multidisciplinary perioperative environment.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of factors that influence professional perioperative practice.
- Critically discuss strategies for the effective leadership and management of perioperative environments.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply decision making and problem-solving skills within complex and dynamic acute care settings
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver a presentation submitted in an electronic format for online assessment.
You must meet all FIVE Learning Outcomes for a pass grade to be awarded. You must choose a clinical incident to analyse. You may choose from the scenario that we have created for you however you may also choose a clinical incident that you have witnessed/participated in from your practice placement. Please note: you should not identify any individuals or the organisation in anyway. If you decide to choose an incident you have witnessed ,then you must contact the module leader to discuss your assignment plan.
You will evaluate what you observe/experience in the scenarios against local/national policy and guidance to identify where you are following best practice and where improvements may lie. If you decide to use a reflective model this fits into the Evaluation section of the Gibbs model or the So what? Section of the Borton model.
Your analysis should concentrate on identifying root causes for the incident. From this analysis you will identify opportunities for change that will enhance the quality of patient care and optimise patient safety.
You should explore a number of options before identifying which ONE of these will potentially have the greatest impact in terms of patient safety. You will then consider this ONE change in the context of change management explaining how you will identify any barriers to change and your strategy for overcoming these barriers. You should consider this in the context of organisational culture within your trust/hospital. What would you do differently if you were team leader? Again, do not identify your organisation in any way. This is best expressed as an action plan which would fits into the Action Plan section of the Gibbs model or the Now what? Section of the Borton model. To grade highly in this assignment, you will utilise a change model and/or change tools within this action plan to explain HOW you would implement this change.